What is Xylitol?
Updated: May 19
As a pet owner, it's crucial to be aware of what foods are harmful to your furry friends. While it's tempting to share your snacks with your dog, some foods can be toxic and even fatal to them. One such food is peanut butter with xylitol.
Xylitol is a sugar substitute commonly found in sugar-free gum, candy, and other sugar-free products. It's used as a sweetener because it's lower in calories and doesn't raise blood sugar levels like regular sugar does. However, xylitol is highly toxic to dogs, even in small amounts.
When a dog ingests xylitol, it rapidly triggers the release of insulin, causing a sudden decrease in blood sugar levels. This condition is called hypoglycemia, and it can be life-threatening. Symptoms of xylitol poisoning can appear within 30 minutes of ingestion and can include vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and even coma.
Peanut butter is a popular treat for dogs, and many pet owners use it as a way to administer medication. However, some brands of peanut butter now contain xylitol as a sweetener, so it's crucial to check the label before giving it to your dog.
Xylitol is typically found in small amounts in peanut butter, but even a small amount can be harmful to dogs, especially small dogs. The amount of xylitol that can cause hypoglycemia varies depending on the size of the dog, but as little as 0.1 gram per kilogram of body weight can be toxic.
If you suspect that your dog has ingested peanut butter with xylitol, seek veterinary attention immediately. Treatment may include inducing vomiting, administering activated charcoal, and providing supportive care such as IV fluids and monitoring of blood sugar levels.
In conclusion, peanut butter with xylitol is bad for dogs because xylitol is highly toxic to them, even in small amounts. To keep your furry friend safe, always read the label and avoid giving them any food that contains xylitol. Stick to peanut butter that is specifically made for dogs and puppies, such as these...